martes, 11 de marzo de 2008

Dark influence on young people

Dark born in France on 1860 like a protest of some students and workers that felt oppressed; they say that they feel like “death in life”; in this protest, they paint their faces white and dressed up black. As a counterculture this movement consolidates its ideas at the beginning of 80’s. After punk’s fall, this movement became bigger, so the people that were part of this, used black clothes and white makeup on their faces showing to the world “the society had kill us”. This movement was now more popular and it takes the name of Darks or Punkgothics, because they have the same philosophy of punks but very gloomy and without violence. In this essay we are going to see how society sees the dark; the connection of this movement with the arts and literature and, finally, how dark counterculture affects the personality of teenagers

One of the main ideas of Dark movement is that it reflects the loneliness that people feels even though they are surrounded by other people. Because of this, the society looks darks as crazy and fool people that only want to call attention. One problem is that sometimes, there are some people that call them selves darks because they dress up with black clothes and heard death metal, so this people gives society a false reality about what real means dark. What they do not know is that dark movement is a whole set of ideas, arts, literature, ways of thinking, etc.
“The society represses the expression of feelings, unless it is with commercial funds, so the dark reflection of that indifference to life and feelings, beauty, the ephemeral, as ethereal, as magical as human; this indifference, which becomes Armageddon internal emotions and feelings in a very emotional ecstasy.”

Dark movement has a very big connection with arts and most of all with literature, for example all authors and philosophers of existentialism defined the existence of human beings and their emotions in a dark way.
"If I could stop thinking, but I left, although I curl up quietly in a corner, I do not forget. I will be there, I will think on the floor. Am I, there, I think, therefore, because I think I am. Why feed? I do not want to think, I think that I do not want to be, I think… why? "

The dark has been a major influence for artists since their deep love of death, they consider the death as the most important thing and the only reason of their life, this conception of death serve as sources of inspiration for paintings, sculptures, plays, and most important the music, their own music, in which they expressed their feelings in a creative way, and that reaches across the world.

Finally we are going to answer the big question; we can say that teenagers are in search of their essence as a person or trying to fit into a society something superficial and capitalist, they make up these culture and lifestyle, just that sometimes this is not what fills them and be part of a counterculture brings responsibilities and obligations that the person could not avoid. Most of them are very confused and in this important stage of their life everybody wants to control them, all mass media are creating a prototype of personality for young people, so some teenagers are just in disagree with this prototype, so the ideas of Dark movement looks like the exit of all the oppression that the world makes on them.

In conclusion we can say that Dark is, in short words, satire and loneliness. It is actually a way of living marginally in this world that tries to mold us in its own way, and oppress other ways of thinking and feeling. On the issue of youth, the point is that every teenager finds his passion and all its ideals gathered in a way of life, but who also knows say NO at risk for themselves.

By: Daniela Tafur

No hay comentarios: